admin http://awarecentraltexas.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Aware-Central-Texas-Logo-vista.jpg admin2017-03-08 10:17:102017-03-08 10:17:10Exchange Parent Aide Model
The evidenced-based Exchange Parent Aide Model is a family home-visitation model. Parent Aides are trained, professionally supervised individuals (paid and volunteer) who provide supportive and educational, in-home services to families at-risk of child abuse and neglect.
Exchange Parent Aides act as mentors and provide intensive support, information, and modeling of effective parenting — all in the home of the family. Services are family centered and focus on:
- Parental resilience is developed through teaching problem solving skills, modeling effective parenting, providing 24/7 support and referrals to services.
- Knowledge of parenting and child development is encouraged and developed through sharing skills and modeling strategies. Individualized help is provided in the home with the parents’ children.
- Social connections are developed and fostered through social support building the individual relationship and connecting the parents to others through group meetings, activities and referrals.
- Social-emotional competence of children is developed through strengthening the nurturing capabilities of the family. Interaction of parents with the children is observed and modeling is provided for support of the children’s competence.
- Ensuring safety of the children including attention to medical, dental or mental health care needs; safe housing; and freedom from child abuse, neglect and domestic violence.
The Exchange Parent Aide program has been replicated since 1979, in over 80 communities in more than 28 states and Puerto Rico. It is utilized in rural, urban, and suburban areas serving diverse populations in a culturally responsive manner.